Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Why I decided to get my Masters Degree in TESOL

In May of 2013 I finished a Post-Baccalaureate 7-12 Certification Program to become a teacher. Since  have finishing the program I have debated what subject I should get my Masters degree in. Through out the education program, professors insisted that we, the students achieve a Masters degree in something that will make us more marketable as a teacher. I could understand why the Professors continued to drill it into our heads that we should achieve a marketable certification, but I did not want to study a specific certification if I was not interested in that certification just to be marketable. I wanted to study something that I was going to enjoy learning and teaching. During my student teaching experience I both observed and student taught with English Language Learners. During my student teacher experience with English Language Learners I really enjoyed my time with them. I enjoyed the smaller classrooms and the more one on one time you could spend with students in an English Language Learners classroom. I liked helping English Language Learners in a regular classroom and seeing the progress they made through out the year. I also loved the strategies used to help English Language Learners learn, strategies that I knew would also help me in an English classroom.

Vocabulary

Certification- something you need to become a professional (ex. teacher, medical assistant)

Debate-two people or two groups of people having a friendly conversation where their ideas are different from one another and each person has a turn to talk.

Insist- to demand something, to repeat something you believe in.

Achieve-to produce something, to earn something.

Marketable-to make something or someone good and/or wanted.

Drill-to repeat

Specific-to be clear about someone or something.

Enjoy-to like, to have fun

Progress- to grow, to move ahead

Strategies-a plan or a method.

Grammar Point: When speaking in the past tense, or about something already expereinced use the correct ending. For example: I enjoy eating hot dogs. Past Tense- I enjoyed eating that hot dog.

Grammar Exercise/ Vocabulary exercise: Use the vocabulary words to create two sentences. One using the present tense and one using the past tense.
For Example: I insist you come to dinner. / I insisted him to come to dinner.



1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you decided to become an ESL teacher, and you have all the right reasons.

    Remember to add the grammar point and activity.

    ReplyDelete